DOES PAPAYA HELP IN CONTROLLING BLOOD SUGAR? KNOW THE FACTS HERE
Diabetes is a common health condition that causes blood sugar levels in our body to rise because of the scarce or ineffective production of insulin in our bodies. Diabetic patients are usually suggested to eat food with a minimal amount of sugar content or to switch to naturally sweet foods like fruits, honey, jaggery, and stevia.
Some fruits have a high sugar content and are risky for diabetic patients, however, papaya is naturally sweet and doesn’t have a high sugar content either. This is why many doctors recommend papaya for diabetic patients. It doesn’t just taste good, it also has many health benefits and uses. So read on and find out more about papaya and diabetes treatment using papaya!
PAPAYA: WHAT ARE ITS USES AND BENEFITS?
Papayas are widely known for their sweet and soft flesh, they help treat many skin and health issues like pigmentation, diabetes, etc. Let’s learn more about their uses and benefits here:
- It is rich in antioxidants and many vital vitamins and minerals.
- It is antiviral, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory.
- It can help in improving digestion.
- It provides strength to our bones by fulfilling the body’s vitamin K requirement.
- Papaya has a high fiber content which makes it beneficial for people suffering from heart diseases as it lowers the risk of heart diseases.
- It improves the overall immunity and metabolism of our body.
- It can reduce the risk of cancer.
- Papaya leaves can help the body regain its platelet levels.
- It improves the skin’s health and reduces pigmentation.
Papaya is used to treat and prevent:
- Anti-wrinkles and acne
- Excessive bleeding
- Bone weakness
- Poor immune system
- Heart diseases
WHAT IS DIABETES? WHAT ARE ITS CAUSES?
Diabetes causes blood sugar levels to rise abnormally in the body because of ineffective or scarce production of a hormone called insulin that regulates blood sugar levels. Diabetes is of mainly two types: type 1 and type 2. Type 1 diabetes doesn’t have any known causes, however, Type 2 diabetes can be caused by:
- Genetic conditions
- Obesity or excessive fat
- Eating disorders like binge eating or overeating
- Unhealthy lifestyle and diet
WHAT MAKES PAPAYA HELPFUL FOR DIABETES?
Doctors always recommend fruits over high sugar content food for sugar patients. Fruits that have low sugar content and larger citrus or vitamin C content are beneficial for sugar patients as they have flavonoids that lower blood sugar levels. Papaya has a low sugar content and is rich in many vitamins and minerals that make it helpful for treating diabetes. Let’s how is papaya good for diabetes:
- It has flavonoids that lower blood sugar levels in the body and treat diabetes.
- Taking papaya, in diabetes patients, can improve the overall immunity and metabolism of the body.
- Diabetes patients can be more likely to contract infections and experience excessive bleeding, papaya can help the body fight these problems with its antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties.
- In diabetes patients, one of the biggest risk factors is that even a small cut can cause excessive bleeding and cause serious health risks. Papaya can prevent this by increasing the body’s platelet count.
- Papaya can also lower the risk of heart diseases, which is a common health risk associated with diabetes, by lowering cholesterol levels and regulating blood circulation.
- It is rich in many vitamins like vitamin C, K, and A which help in the overall functioning of the body and can reduce the risk of cognitive disorders associated with diabetes.
PAPAYA SIDE EFFECTS
It is usually safe to eat papaya, diabetes patients are encouraged to eat papaya regularly as well. However, without proper consultation, consuming papaya can turn out to be dangerous. Papaya has known side effects on some people, here are all of them:
- Papaya can be dangerous if consumed with medication that lowers blood sugar as both of them combined can cause blood sugar levels to decrease to harmful levels.
- Papaya has been known to induce miscarriage and abortions in pregnant women and it is better to avoid or take a minimal amount of papaya while you’re pregnant.
- Papaya can also cause allergic reactions in some people however this can be avoided if you consult your doctor or physician before consuming papaya.
Papaya is a vitamin, minerals, and antioxidant-rich fruit that can help in the treatment and prevention of many health problems. Papaya is known to be effective in treating digestive issues and skin pigmentation, but taking papaya for diabetes has also been proven helpful. It has a low sugar content and is useful in lowering blood sugar levels and can reduce many risks associated with diabetes like infections, heart diseases, and excessive bleeding.