SHOULD YOU BE TRYING GILOY FOR CONTROLLING YOUR DIABETES? GET THE FACTS HERE.
Diabetes has become one of the many issues that affects a majority of people. As per the reports released by World Health Organization in the year 2014, about 422 million people worldwide suffer from diabetes. Besides, more than 1.6 million deaths every year are directly attributed to it. It is not hard to observe the rising cases as well as the prevalence of diabetes in the previous few decades.
Thus, it is definitely not one of those problems associated with the human body that can be ignored. If left untreated, it can lead to dysfunctioning of various parts of the body ranging from head to toe.
Ayurveda is a branch of medication which has been treating this disease longer than others. It is a trusted way to culminate such life-hindering problems. Of the many solutions that it may provide, giloy is one such marvelous herb that is claimed to have transformed the health of diabetic people.
This article talks about the benefits of using giloy as a treatment for diabetes.
The scientific name for giloy is Tinospora cordifolia. It is herbaceous vine that is native to the tropical lands of countries like India, Myanmar, and Sri Lanka. It is a famous home remedy that is often suggested by the doctors for resolving health issues. Giloy has been deemed to be a magical herb. It has anti-malarial, anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic, anti-allergic, and anti-diabetic properties.
In the case of diabetes, giloy is a very popular treatment. It is believed to be most effective for managing type-2 diabetes. The plant has been referred to as Madhunashini, which in Sanskrit literally means ‘destroyer of sugar’, in the ancient Indian texts of Ayurveda. As mentioned in literature, giloy juice benefits the human body when dealing with a plethora of diseases that might range from head to toe.
GILOY USES – ALL OF THEM!
- Chronic fever
- Neurological problems
- Prevention of onset of osteoporosis in women
- Eyesight improvement
- Skin problems like acne, dark spots
GILOY BENEFITS – THE FACTS
- It is a natural treatment for body ailments.
- It can treat respiratory issues.
- It promotes heart health.
- It is an immunity booster.
- It is helpful in reducing stress and anxiety.
- It can also possibly protect your heart.
- It purifies blood.
- It prevents infections in the body.
- It improves retention.
- It has anti-aging properties.
THE AVAILABILITY OF GILOY
Giloy is quite convenient to find in one form or the other.
- The plant can be grown at home.
- One may also consume the ready-made giloy juice.
- Giloy is also available in the form of churna.
- The other alternative is giloy vati or giloy tablets.
Luckily, giloy products are not expensive. These juices, churna and tablets are easily available at both online sites and offline stores. The size of the product or quantity may vary depending on the brand. Also, some of these products might contain additional herbal ingredients. Do check the label before purchasing the products.
HOW IS GILOY CONSUMED FOR THE TREATMENT OF DIABETES?
IF you have a plant, you can easily prepare giloy juice at home and consume it every morning on an empty stomach. Soak the leaves and stems in water overnight. Blend it to form a paste. Add water to it for juice-like consistency.
Giloy tablets can be consumed with water on an empty stomach every morning.
As far as the juice and churna are concerned, mix the advised quantity of the product in water and drink it everyday.
Follow the dosage recommended by the doctor.
KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT DIABETES RIGHT HERE!
#1 MEANING AND TYPES
Diabetes or diabetes mellitus are one of the most popular metabolic diseases that cause high blood sugar. Yes, diabetes is actually a group of diseases. The hormone called insulin is responsible for moving sugar from the blood into your cells in order to be saved and consumed for energy.
In the case of a diabetic patient, the body either does not produce enough insulin or cannot use the insulin the body produces. If left untreated, it can damage your eyes, nerves, kidneys, and other organs as well.
There are four types of Diabetes:
- Diabetes Type 1 – The blood sugar levels rise due to destruction of insulin-producing cells. It usually happens at a young age. In this type, glucose does not enter the body cells due to unavailability of insulin. As a result, the cells starve.
- Diabetes Type 2 diabetes – The body develops resistance against insulin. This leads to excess sugar in the blood.
- Gestational diabetes – This kind mostly affects pregnant women as the hormones produced by placenta block insulin.
- Prediabetes – The blood sugar gets higher than normal. However, it is not high enough for a person to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
The less common types are monogenic diabetes syndrome, drug or chemical-induced diabetes and cystic fibrosis-related diabetes.
The causes for diabetes are as listed below:
- Diabetes type 1 :-
The exact reason for this kind hasn’t been deciphered. Due to some mysterious reason, the immune system destroys the insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas. This causes a rise in blood sugar levels. People with a family history of type 1 diabetes are more prone to it. In other causes, being affected by a virus can also become the triggering cause for the problem.
- Diabetes type 2 :-
This is caused by both genetics and lifestyle. Obesity increases your chances of suffering from this type of diabetes. Extra weight, mostly around the abdominal regions, makes your cells more resistant to the effects of insulin. As a result, the blood sugar level increases.
- Gestational diabetes :-
Mothers-to-be suffer from this condition when they experience hormonal changes in the body during pregnancy. These hormones, produced by the placenta, make a pregnant woman’s cells less sensitive to the effects of insulin. This causes high blood sugar. Those who gain too much weight are more prone to it.
The symptoms for different types of diabetes are:
- Type 1 diabetes
- Mood changes
- Constant feeling of thirst
- Intense hunger
- Blurred vision
- Abnormal weight loss
- Frequent urination
- Diabetic ketoacidosis
- Types 2 diabetes
- Intense hunger
- Frequent urination
- Slow-healing sores
- Blurred vision
- Increased thirst
- Recurring infections
- Gestational diabetes
There are no particular symptoms of this condition in women. In rare cases, they might experience increased thirst and frequent urination.
DIAGNOSIS OF TYPE 1 AND TYPE 2 DIABETES
- A1C Test/ Glycated hemoglobin test
- Fasting blood sugar test
- Random blood sugar test
- Oral glucose tolerance test
DIAGNOSIS OF GESTATIONAL DIABETES
The diagnosis for this type of diabetes involves two steps. First, a glucose challenge test. If the result shows a high level of glucose (over 140 ml/dL), an oral glucose tolerance test will follow.
THE COMPLICATIONS OF DIABETES
Diabetes affects the entire body. It you are someone who is suffering from diabetes, you may be at a greater risk of experiencing the following complications
- Cardiovascular issues
- Retinopathy or Eye damage
- Neuropathy or nerve damage
- Erectile dysfunction
- Dental problems
- Foot damage due to infections or sores
- Nephropathy or kidney damage
- Skin diseases like fungal and bacterial infections
- Hearing loss
As in the came of women suffering from gestational diabetes, the complications are as follows:
- Abnormally higher weight at birth
- Premature birth of child
- Increased risk for type 2 diabetes
- Low levels of sugar in blood sugar
HOME REMEDIES AND LIFESTYLE CHANGES FOR THE TREATMENT OF DIABETES
The treatment for any body ailment, first begins at home. Given below are steps that can speed up your recovery from the problem or atleast prevent it from further aggravation.
- Consuming soaked fenugreek seeds every morning on an empty stomach.
- Consuming cinnamon with warm water every day.
- Eating fruits rich in Vitamin C.
- Consume more fibrous foods.
- Stay hydrated.
- Consuming bitter gourd in meals.
- Get enough quality sleep.
- Add apple cider vinegar in your diet.
- Consume food rich in chromium and magnesium.
- Control your meal portions.
- Do not stress.
- Monitor your blood sugar level from time to time.
- Drink aloe vera mixed with buttermilk, everyday.
- Eat an amla or amla powder with water, everyday.
- Add moringa to your meals.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
MEDICAL TREATMENT FOR DIABETES
The treatment varies depending on the type of diabetes and the age, gender, health condition of the patient.
- Allopathic treatment
In the case of type 1 diabetes, medications like rapid-acting, long-acting, short-acting and intermediate-acting insulins are injected. In type 2 diabetes, exercise and diet are the key factors that need to be managed for the treatment of the disease. Besides, medicines like Biguanides, Meglitinides, Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors, etc., are given.
- Ayurvedic treatment
Ayurvedic treatment involves tablets, syrups and churnas. These are mostly composed of medicinal herbs like giloy, gurmar, vijaysar, sadabahar, etc. doctors may also suggest a variety of home treatments.
- Homeopathic treatment
The medicines are mostly in the form of pellets, dilution liquids, and tablets. They are enriched with the medicinal properties of components like Syzygium Jambolanum, Uranium Nitricum, Phosphoric Acid, Cephalandra Indica, etc.
HOW DOES GILOY HELP WITH DIABETES?
Giloy – the ‘destroyer of sugar’, is an effective treatment for diabetes. This magical herb deals with diabetes in the following manner:
- It stimulates the production of insulin in the body.
- It acts like a hypoglycemic agent that manages diabetes. It can also lower the levels of sugar in the body.
- It helps in burning excess glucose. Thus, reducing blood sugar levels.
- It helps in improving digestion, which is indirectly helpful in managing diabetes.
IS AYURVEDA AN EFFECTIVE TREATMENT FOR DIABETES? IF YES, THEN WHY IS IT BELIEVED TO BE SO?
Diabetes is an ailment that arises due to chemical balance inside the body. Ayurveda treats the entire body as a whole to restore the desirable chemical balance in the body. Thus, one can rely on ayurveda when it comes to getting rid of diabetes.
Ayurveda is considered to be superior to other kinds of medication, mostly allopathic, as these remedies can sometimes be too much for the body to handle. The patient might sometimes require a gentle treatment that is equally effective. If not effective, then at least, not pose any side-effects to the body. This further adds to the popularity of the medication.
People, often, opt for ayurvedic treatment as it is known to be a holistic healing practice that prevents diseases from entering the body, by using nature’s cure – herbs. It is no surprise that most of the herbal ingredients are commonly used in Indian households for cooking. Given that the ingredients and their benefits are known to all, it only makes people certain about the effectiveness of using Ayurvedic formulations to treat diabetes.
Therefore, giloy, a marvel medicine brought to us by Ayurveda, is widely used by diabetic patients.
GILOY SIDE EFFECTS : HOW CAN IT BE HARMFUL FOR YOU?
As useful as it may be, consumption of giloy can sometimes lead to unwanted consequences. Generally, these side-effects aren’t very complex and they go away within a few days. As per the studies, the below mentioned conditions are the most likely to arise post consumption.
- In certain cases, blood sugar level may drop drastically. People make the mistake of consuming giloy along with diabetic medications. This can lead to consequences that are equally harmful.
- It may lead to constipation.
- Overstimulation of the immune system is one of the negative consequences of consuming giloy. It can be harmful for those suffering from autoimmune diseases.
- It can be harmful for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
SAFETY ADVICE REGARDING THE CONSUMPTION OF GILOY
- Consulting a doctor is the primary rule that must be followed when consuming giloy.
- No other diabetes medicines should be consumed when consuming giloy.
- Follow the recommended dosage only.
- If possible and advised, opt for consumption of natural form of giloy rather than medicines.
- Avoid consumption of giloy if you have been diagnosed with any auto-immune disease. For example: lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Giloy in pregnancy or for new mothers who are breastfeeding, is a big no no!
REVIEWS – KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY ABOUT GILOY PLANT AS A TREATMENT FOR DIABETES.
As per a research, giloy has significant anti-diabetic activity and has an efficacy of 40 percent to 80 percent compared to insulin. Considering the given fact, a majority of diabetic people include consumption of giloy in their daily routine.
- They have found a significant change in their blood sugar levels post consumption. A few of them raised a concern regarding the taste. But, there’s no rose without a thorn.
- Others also mentioned how convenient the treatment becomes as one starts growing the herb at home. It is an easy and cost-effective treatment for diabetes.
- Younger patients have found it difficult to consume it directly due to the taste and smell. They prefer giloy tablets and syrups over raw plants.
REVIEWS FOR GILOY PRODUCTS
As per various online sources, giloy products have received an average rating of 4.5 out of 5. They have been a convenient source of giloy for those who did not have the plant at home. They have also made it easier for people who dislike the taste of the plant, to consume giloy in other forms.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS REGARDING DIABETES AND GILOY
Dalchini is a sweet and spicy ingredient that makes you feel warm and happy inside with its amazing fragrance. It reminds you of fall and everything nice and warm in the world! I’m sure you love cinnamon buns just as much as any other person (including me). But have you ever wondered what makes dalchini so infamous and why is it used in so many varying delicacies across the world?
It’s because it has so many benefits and uses, and of course, because it is so yummy! Dalchini makes everything taste better. But it also makes our health better. Did you know dalchini powder can treat diseases as serious as cognitive function disorders and type 2 diabetes? Amazing right?! It helps treat much more health and even skin problems. Tired of clogged pores and blackheads? Dalchini powder scrub is here to rescue you!
I’m sure you’re feeling curious about it now, so let’s find out more about this wonder spice and all its benefits and uses here!
WHAT IS DALCHINI?
Dalchini is extracted from the bark of the Cinnamomum tree and has been used as a spice and a healing remedy for centuries. Dalchini powder is obtained by grinding the dried bark of the Cinnamomum tree. It’s grown in many parts of Asia, North America, and Europe. Dalchini or cinnamon is a multipurpose spice and has several uses across many cultures, some cultures even use it in religious rituals.
It is mainly of two types – Ceylon and cassia. Cassia is the most commonly available type of dalchini powder and can be found in any store. Ceylon, however, isn’t as widely used as cassia and is mostly found in Sri Lanka. They both have similar benefits and can treat many ailments.
It is a beloved garnish for many caffeinated beverages as well, I’m sure to fall instantly reminds you of dalchini and its sweet and spicy, unique taste in many snacks and drinks. It has a lot of medicinal properties that were widely used in ancient medicine like Ayurveda. And it is known to treat many skin and health problems effectively. Let’s see what they are!
DALCHINI BENEFITS IN MEDICINE
Dalchini has many medicinal benefits and has been used as a remedy for centuries. Its sweet and spicy taste makes it easier to consume and it’s medically proven that unless you eat an enormous amount of dalchini for a prolonged period, it doesn’t have any notable side effects. It is beneficial for a lot of health and skin problems, so let’s find out all the benefits of dalchini here:
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Antimicrobial and antifungal properties
- Relieves pain and discomfort
- Can regular blood sugar levels
- Regulates healthy blood circulation in the body
- Improves cognitive functioning
- Improves digestion and treats indigestion
- Lowers cholesterol
- Reduces weight
- It is a natural antioxidant
- Prevents blood clots and excessive bleeding
- Antiseptic properties
WHAT ARE THE USES OF DALCHINI?
Dalchini, although is used as a spice to add flavor to many amazing recipes like biryani, is also very useful in treating many health conditions that typically require expensive treatments. It’s an effective alternative for many modern chemical medications. Here are some of the widely known dalchini uses:
- It has anti-inflammatory properties that can treat skin problems like acne and pustules.
- It is used to unclog pores and clean impurities in the skin.
- It can lower blood sugar levels and treat type 2 diabetes.
- It lowers cholesterol, regulates blood circulation, and treats heart diseases.
- Its antimicrobial, antiseptic, and antifungal properties can treat infections.
- It helps treat many digestive disorders and issues like indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome, etc.
- It can be used to relieve pain and discomfort and treat muscle or joint pain.
- It can help treat many cognitive disorders like Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, etc.
- It’s speculated by many medical researchers that dalchini can cure cancer, but there’s not enough research to use it in cancer treatments.
- It is used in reducing weight and fat deposits in the body.
- It prevents excessive bleeding and blood clotting.
- It is an antioxidant and improves the metabolism and overall immunity of our bodies.
- It heals skin problems and rejuvenates the skin cells with its antioxidant properties.
WHAT IS DIABETES?: TYPES, CAUSE, AND RISKS
Diabetes is a disease that affects your body’s metabolism by making insulin production in your body either ineffective or scarce. It causes blood sugar levels to become high. Its most dangerous indication is that any kind of cut or wound doesn’t heal as quickly as usual. Diabetes is mainly of two different types and both of them are responsible for making insulin in your body ineffective or scarce, the factors that differentiate them are their causes and treatments.
- Type 1 diabetes: Type 1 diabetes can’t be treated by lifestyle changes and requires insulin injections into your body to lower blood sugar levels.
- Type 2 diabetes: Type 2 diabetes is easier to treat as it can be treated by making changes in your diet and lifestyle. In serious cases, it requires insulin injections into the body.
Diabetes has many health risks associated with it, let’s take a look at some of them:
- If you have diabetes, you’re more likely to contract infections in your wounds and cuts.
- Diabetes may not seem dangerous, but it can cause multiple organ failures and many other issues if left untreated.
- It affects cognitive functioning and can cause urinary problems as well.
- It increases appetite and thirst.
- It makes people weaker and causes fatigue.
Type 1 diabetes doesn’t have any known causes yet, and type 2 is generally caused by:
- Genetic conditions
- Unhealthy lifestyle or diet
- Overeating or other eating disorders
- Obesity and excessive body fat
CAN DIABETES BE PREVENTED?
Although it’s not possible to prevent type 1 diabetes like type 2 diabetes, its risks and health hazards can be reduced to a large extent. So here are some things that can help you out:
- Reduce your sugar consumption to a minimum and replace it with natural alternatives like stevia and jaggery.
- Exercise and burn your fat deposits to reduce your weight.
- Switch to healthier diets and avoid eating processed or fast food. Eat more natural and herbal foods and products.
- Drink milk and other naturally sweet drinks and juices instead.
- Eat lots of fruits and leafy vegetables and drink a lot of water to give your body healthy nutrients.
- Try not to overeat or seek therapy for eating disorders and bring a change in your dietary habits.
- Stop taking sugar in your tea, instead drink honey-infused tea to reduce the sugar content that enters your body.
HOW DOES DALCHINI HELP IN TREATING DIABETES?
Dalchini has many properties that make it helpful in treating type 2 diabetes and its indications. Apart from its medicinal benefits, dalchini can be used as a substitute or neutralizing agent for sugar in sweets and drinks. It can be taken only after proper consultation with a doctor or physician, as its effects can be subjective and it may not be suitable for some people with allergies. Here are all the ways dalchini can help in treating diabetes:
- It can lower blood sugar levels in the body.
- It can increase our body’s sensitivity to insulin and help in ensuring effective insulin production in the body.
- It helps in reducing obesity and can help in lowering the risks of diabetes.
- It is improving cognitive functioning and can help diabetes patients prevent and treat cognitive problems like blurred vision and hearing.
- It is naturally antiseptic, antifungal, and antimicrobial which lowers the risk of infections in diabetes patients as they are more likely to contract infections.
- It prevents clotting in the blood and treats wounds, prevents excessive bleeding effectively.
- Since diabetic patients are more likely to experience multiorgan failures and heart diseases, dalchini lowers these risks by treating heart issues. It regulates blood circulation in the body and helps lower cholesterol levels as well.
- Diabetes can also cause patients to become weaker and feel fatigued and dalchini can improve their metabolism to relieve fatigue and discomfort as well.
WHAT IS THE RIGHT INTAKE OF DALCHINI FOR TREATING DIABETES?
Dalchini doesn’t have any known side effects, but it’s important to seek medical consultation before taking dalchini powder or capsules for diabetes. You might think if there are no side effects why is it important to seek medical counsel; it’s because dalchini can be harmful in large doses and a doctor or physician can help you take the right amount of dalchini if it proves safe and effective for you. Here is the usually suggested intake of dalchini for treating type 2 diabetes:
- An intake of 1g, 3g, or 6g can be taken to treat type 2 diabetes and its indications.
- Alternatively, ½ – 2 teaspoons of dalchini powder can be consumed in one day for effective results.
- It shouldn’t be taken directly, you can try mixing the dalchini powder in honey or consume it in tea or by adding little amounts of the powder to your regular diet.
- Don’t exceed the recommended usage or it can cause serious health issues.
PRICE OF DALCHINI POWDER
Dalchini powder is very easily available in any retail store online or offline since it’s widely used across the world. It’s quite affordable and is usually sold in the price range of ₹60 – ₹140 for 100g of dalchini powder. The most commonly available type of dalchini is cassia cinnamon powder.
SIDE EFFECTS AND RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH DALCHINI
Although dalchini has no known side effects and is usually safe for consumption, taking a high dosage or eating a lot of dalchini for a prolonged period can be really harmful. It can increase many health risks and may cause problems in digestion as well. So it is better to follow strict instructions from your doctor or physician while taking dalchini powder instead of consuming a lot of it at once.
SAFETY TIPS FOR USING DALCHINI POWDER
Here are some safety tips to keep in mind while using dalchini:
- Do not use or consume dalchini for any health or condition without medical supervision to avoid any mishaps or allergies.
- It usually induces healthy blood circulation and makes our body warmer, so it is better to consume it with something that will you down as well if you take it in warm climates.
- Do not take high dosages of dalchini capsules and powders as they can cause serious health problems.
- Always consult your doctor or physician before making any notable changes in your intake or diet.
- Make sure to seek medical attention immediately if there is any kind of reaction or inflammation visible after taking dalchini.
- Drink a lot of water and keep yourself hydrated when you’re taking dalchini regularly to avoid dehydration or any other health problems.
- Don’t use dalchini powder directly on your skin as it can cause redness or even burns, mix it with something that neutralizes the burning sensation.
Dalchini is an ancient spice that has been used in herbal medicines and remedies for centuries. It is sweet and spicy and makes the perfect substitute for sugary unhealthy products. It is used in many food items, drinks, and herbal remedies. It has many uses and medical benefits like anti-inflammatory properties, its ability to lower blood sugar, prevent blood clotting, etc.
It is widely known for its effectiveness in treating type 2 diabetes and its indications. It lowers blood sugar levels and induces effective insulin usage and production in our bodies. It even reduces weight and lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes in many patients. It effectively treats diabetes with small and regular doses. It doesn’t have any known side effects, but taking higher doses than needed can result in severe side effects and cause harm to the body.
Overall, dalchini is an affordable and effective way of treating diabetes, however, it is not a replacement for insulin and should not be taken without proper consultation with a doctor or physician.